Friday, September 20, 2013

Alien Party

Several months ago, I had an alien birthday party for my son, and I am finally getting around to posting about it. I don't have a fancy camera, and I am not the most artistic person around, but I found/had some fun ideas I think someone out there might want to use someday.

As my boys get older, I try to involve them as much as possible in the planning of their birthday parties. I don't really care about everything looking perfect. I'd much rather have things that my boys helped to create. My son really likes aliens, and especially loves drawing his own alien creations. So when it came to deciding what his theme would be, it was a no-brainer. We looked through cake decorating books together and found a design he liked. To decorate, my boys drew aliens and planets on a banner of paper, and then we taped black alien eyes to balloons.

For the invitations, I cut out aliens my son had drawn and pasted them to some shiny card with the party information: 4...3..2..1.. Blastoff to x's alien party.

For the food we found a tutorial on how to make alien cupcakes, and then my son helped me make and decorate them.  I also made some green smoothies using this idea for a Toy Story alien milkshake.


I got the idea for the birthday cake from Gorgeous and Gruesome Cakes for Children. I changed the swamp monster into an alien eating an astronaut. The actual cake didn't turn out so well, it was quite dense, but I really liked how it looked.

For the games we did "pin the eye on the alien." My son drew the shape for the alien's body.

The best game of the day was our "Aliens in Underpants" treasure hunt.  When the children first arrived, we had each one decorate his own paper underpants. When they were finished, we hung them on the line. Then when they were busy building spaceships out of junk, I took the underpants, and hid them around the house next to a party bag with another original alien pasted to the front.  When we were ready for the treasure hunt, we announced that the pants had been stolen by aliens, and each child had to find his own underpants.  They loved this game!

1 comment:

Heather P said...

Love Love Love it! I love the alien cake, the pin the eye on the alien, and the underpants! I love how you have the boys help plan and decorate. Their additions are so clever!